Many lodging partners, merchants and citizens are unaware or unsure of the Tourism Bureau’s role. The following is a synopsis of the organization and its operation.
The Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau (YMCTB) is the official destination marketing organization (DMO) for the County of Mariposa. Its function is to manage the branding, sales and marketing efforts for the territory to attract leisure and group overnight stays. The primary focus is to generate room nights during the off-season.
The YMCTB is responsible for the creation and implementation of advertising campaigns and promotions which include a broad range of media and efforts consisting of television, radio, social media, online, print, promotions and event support.
The YMCTB’s funding comes from two sources:
1) An annual allocation from the Mariposa County Board of Supervisors – currently $500,000;
2) 1% levy on room revenue collected from the visitor – approximately $1.1 million annually. This is a structured Tourism Business Improvement District with a scheduled operation guideline referred to as a Mariposa County Tourism Management District Plan.
YMCTB currently has three full-time staff:
Executive Director – Terry Selk
Terry is responsible and accountable for all operations of the YMCTB. A veteran in the travel industry, he has 24 years’ experience in destination marketing and tourism sales including 18 years at the California Tourism office where he specialized in travel trade development and international marketing. Prior to his joining the YMCTB in August 2012, he was the tourism director for the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Marketing Coordinator – Julie Hadzega
Julie is responsible for coordinating and implementing all of the marketing and promotional campaigns for the YMCTB. She also coordinates all site visits, trade shows and works with local event coordinators and lodging partners on coop advertising and the promotion of events in the county.
Communications Coordinator – Noel Morrison
Noel is responsible for YMCTB communications including eNewsletters, websites (Yosemiteexperience.com and Yosemite.com), social media, and marketing materials. Noel is a life-long resident of Mariposa County and enjoys hiking and backpacking in the park. She is also active in the arts community in Mariposa. Before joining YMCTB in 2014, Noel was the webmaster and communications manager at Yosemite Conservancy.
Administrative Assistant – Windy Gonzalez
Windy is responsible for all of the day to day operations of the YMCTB office. She handles most of the administrative duties such as bookkeeping, accounting and office management.
The YMCTB retains several vendors to help carry out its broad range of activities:
- Catalyst Marketing Agency – They facilitate all advertising, social media and public relations efforts.
- Digital Gear – They manage the www.YosemiteExperience.com website and most recently has taken over management of www.Yosemite.com.
- Townsend Public Affairs – They provide assistance with legislative issues in Washington D.C. and Sacramento involving Yosemite National Park and Mariposa County as well as sourcing grants and financial support for large scale projects affecting tourism in the county.
- International Offices – Through the umbrella operations of Visit California, the YMCTB contracts with representation offices in Australia, Germany and the United Kingdom. Activities include daily representation of the destination to the travel trade, media and consumer. The offices carry out educational training programs for front-line travel agents, develop itineraries and programs with tour operators, pitch story ideas to the media and coordinate cooperative promotions with airlines, tour operators and non-tourism sector companies.
- Independent Consultants (when needed)
Management of the YMCTB
Dan Jensen – Chair – DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite
Jonathan Farrington – Vice Chair – DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite
Barbara Robinson – Secretary - Indian Peak Ranch
Douglas Shaw – Treasurer – Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
Brian Bullis - Mariposa Fair Grounds and Exposition Center
Donna Davis – The Redwoods in Yosemite
MaryAnn Huff – John Muir GEO Tourism Center
Kathy McCorry – Mariposa County Chamber of Commerce
Donna Nassar – Yosemite/Mariposa Bed and Breakfast Association
Kevin Shelton – Yosemite Resorts
Jim Stellmack – Marketing Committee Member – DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite
Sara Zahn – Hotel Jeffery
Roger Biery – Mariposa County Economic Development Corporation
Kevin Cann – Mariposa County Supervisor, District IV
Scott Gediman – Yosemite National Park
Candy O’Donel-Browne – Community Member
The Marketing Committee consisting of a sub-set of the lodging partners referenced above provides general direction and guidance and reports to the Board of Directors.
What We Do For Mariposa County Lodging Properties
YMCTB supports every type of lodging property in the county. The following are some examples of the efforts undertaken to promote Mariposa County lodging:
- Property listing on the YosemiteExperience.com website at no cost.
- Free booking engine on the YosemitEexperience.com website
- Marketing assistance.
- Free listing in Vacation Travel Planner.
- Facilitate site visits for tour operators, media and other industry decision makers.
- Promotion via “Yosemite Nation”, the YMCTB’s Facebook page (72,500 fans).
- Travel Industry Ambassador Program to attract members of the CA and US travel sectors to experience the area in the off-season.
- Promotes the properties and destination at consumer and travel trade shows throughout the world. Some examples are:
- International POW WOW
- ITB – Berlin
- World Travel Mart (WTM) in London
- Los Angeles Travel and Adventure Show – Long Beach
- Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show – Santa Clara
- National Tour Association (NTA)
- International Tour Management Institute (tour directors)
- Go West Summit
We are able to enhance our marketing outreach through affiliation with several organizations that help us extend our limited marketing dollars:
- Visit California
- Gold Country Visitor Association
- High Sierra Visitors Council
- Brand USA
- Yosemite Gateway Partners
- San Francisco Travel
- Sacramento CVB and others
Contact Information:Mailing Address – P.O. Box 967, Mariposa, CA 95338 Physical Address – 5065 State Highway 140, Suite E, Mariposa, CA 95338 Office Hours – Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 PM Office Phone – (209) 742-4567 Fax – (209) 742-5176 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 967
Mariposa, CA 95338
Yosemite’s International Offices
Tel: +49 (0) 6102 88479-107
Frankfurter Strasse 175, 63263,
Experience the Yosemite Corridors!
Build an exciting 2-3 day itinerary which will explore Mariposa County‘s various historic Yosemite gateways. The most popular itineraries will take advantage of the unique offerings of two distinctly different corridors.
For more information, please email the Bureau at or call (209)742-4567.