Many lodging partners, merchants and citizens are unaware or unsure of the Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau’s role. The following is a synopsis of the organization and its operation.
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau (YMCTB) is the official destination marketing organization (DMO) for the County of Mariposa. It’s function is to manage the branding, sales and marketing efforts for the territory to attract leisure and group overnight stays. The primary focus is to generate room nights during the off-season.
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau is responsible for the creation and implementation of advertising campaigns and promotions which include a broad range of media and efforts consisting of television, radio, social media, online, print, promotions and event support.
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau’s funding comes from two sources:
1) An annual allocation from the Mariposa County Board of Supervisors – currently $400,000;
2) 1% levy on room revenue collected from the visitor – approximately $1.1 million annually. This is a structured Tourism Business Improvement District with a scheduled operation guideline referred to as a Mariposa County Tourism Management District Plan.
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau currently has four full-time staff:
Executive Director – Terry Selk
Terry is responsible and accountable for all operations of the YMCTB. A veteran in the travel industry, he has 24 years’ experience in destination marketing and tourism sales including 18 years at the California Tourism office where he specialized in travel trade development and international marketing. Prior to his joining the YMCTB in August 2012, he was the tourism director for the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Communications Manager – Noel Morrison
Noel is responsible for YMCTB communications and public relations including all online communications and websites, trip portals, social media platforms and press visits. Before joining YMCTB in 2014, Noel worked for more than six years managing communications for the the primary nonprofit partner of Yosemite National Park. Noel is a life-long resident of Mariposa County and enjoys hiking and backpacking in the park. She is also active in the conservation, education, and arts communities in Mariposa.
Sales & Marketing Coordinator – Julie Hadzega
Julie is responsible for coordinating and implementing all of the marketing and promotional campaigns for the YMCTB. She also coordinates all site visits, trade shows and works with local event coordinators and lodging partners on coop advertising and the promotion of events in the county.
Administrative Assistant – Windy Gonzalez
Windy is responsible for all of the day-to-day operations of the YMCTB office. She handles most of the administrative duties such as bookkeeping, accounting and office management.
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau retains several vendors to help carry out its broad range of activities:
- AugustineIdeas Marketing Agency – AugustineIdeas facilitates advertising, social media and public relations efforts.
- Digital Gear – Website support
- Townsend Public Affairs – Assistance with legislative issues in Washington D.C. and Sacramento involving Yosemite National Park and Mariposa County as well as sourcing grants and financial support for large scale projects affecting tourism in the county.
- International Offices – Through the umbrella operations of Visit California, the YMCTB contracts with representation offices in Australia, Germany, Scandinavia, and the United Kingdom. Activities include daily representation of the destination to the travel trade, media and consumer. The offices carry out educational training programs for front-line travel agents, develop itineraries and programs with tour operators, pitch story ideas to the media and coordinate cooperative promotions with airlines, tour operators and non-tourism sector companies.
- Independent Consultants (when needed)
Yosemite/Mariposa County Tourism Bureau Management
Dan Jensen – Chair – DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite
Jonathan Farrington – Vice Chair – DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite
Barbara Robinson – Secretary – Indian Peak Ranch
Douglas Shaw – Treasurer – Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
Brian Bullis - Mariposa Fair Grounds and Exposition Center
Donna Davis – The Redwoods in Yosemite
MaryAnn Huff – John Muir GEO Tourism Center
Donna Nassar – Yosemite/Mariposa Bed and Breakfast Association
Kevin Shelton – Yosemite Resorts
Sara Zahn – Hotel Jeffery
Roger Biery – Mariposa County Economic Development Corporation
Kevin Cann – Mariposa County Supervisor, District IV
Scott Gediman – Yosemite National Park
Candy O’Donel-Browne – Community Member
Merlin Jones - Mariposa County Supervisor, District II
The Marketing Committee consisting of a sub-set of the lodging partners referenced above provides general direction and guidance and reports to the Board of Directors.
What We Do For Mariposa County Lodging Properties
Yosemite\Mariposa County Tourism Bureau supports every type of lodging property in the county. The following are some examples of the efforts undertaken to promote Mariposa County lodging:
- Property listing on the YosemiteExperience.com website at no cost
- Free booking engine on the YosemitEexperience.com website
- Marketing assistance
- Free listing in Vacation Travel Planner
- Facilitate site visits for tour operators, media and other industry decision-makers
- Promotion via “Yosemite Nation”, the YMCTB’s Facebook page and related social media platforms (86k fans)
- Travel Industry Ambassador Program to attract members of the CA and US travel sectors to experience the area in the off-season
- Promotes the properties and destination at consumer and travel trade shows throughout the world. Some examples are:
- International POW WOW
- ITB – Berlin
- World Travel Mart (WTM) in London
- Los Angeles Travel and Adventure Show – Long Beach
- Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show – Santa Clara
- National Tour Association (NTA)
- International Tour Management Institute (tour directors)
- Go West Summit
We are able to enhance our marketing outreach through affiliation with several organizations that help us extend our limited marketing dollars:
- Visit California
- Gold Country Visitor Association
- High Sierra Visitors Council
- Brand USA
- Yosemite Gateway Partners
- San Francisco Travel
- Sacramento CVB and others
Contact Information:Mailing Address – P.O. Box 967, Mariposa, CA 95338 Physical Address – 5065 State Highway 140, Suite E, Mariposa, CA 95338 Office Hours – Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 PM Office Phone – (209) 742-4567 Fax – (209) 742-5176 Email: email@example.com
P.O. Box 967
Mariposa, CA 95338